Sure it’s 2014 but the phone is still a big part of making sales. In light of the internet, social media, and digital content, many products and services still require human interaction with the sales process. If you have a product or service that requires lead generation through the use of teleprospecting here are 5 ways to improve your teleprospecting results:
- Write out your script. I didn’t say read from a script, I said write it out. Knowing what you need to say is important. Making sure you have the salient points identified prior to a prospect answering the call is critical to your success. Select your words carefully. Forget the “$7 dollar Scrabble words”. Focus on delivering a simple, clear message without the typical sales jargon.
- Practice the script. Record your voice as you walk through your script. Do it over, and over, and over again until it begins to sound natural as opposed to a forced message. Get a mirror and watch yourself as you speak your pitch. Try it sitting down and then standing up. Often times you’ll be surprised as how much more relaxed you sound when your standing up. Your diaphragm is elongated and your breathing and oxygen flow is much more streamlined than when sitting.
- Use tone and inflection strategically. End your very first sentence on a high. Be conscious not to end sentences on down tones. When your voice drifts it comes across as boredom, lacking energy, or worse just plain unhappy. Remember, when you’re on the phone your voice is your suit. Since you’re not in front of someone you can’t wow them with your $2,000 Armani suit. Instead you must have a $2,000 Armani voice.
- Have a list of client testimonials handy. Referencing key clients or partners within the territory you are calling adds credibility to you, your product and your company. You can be as general or specific as you’d like but be sure you have names to back you up. “I work with more than X number of businesses (brokers, accountants, bankers, etc) in Philadelphia.” If the prospect decides to challenge or question who you work with be ready with names.
- Set goals for calling. A rule of thumb is 100 dials a day for teleprospecting, or 15 dials per hour. This requires having a list ready that has this number of prospects on it. Close your email, shut off your cell phone and start dialing. Eliminate all possible distractions…just call.
Focus on these steps and watch how your productivity increases by 25% a month. It really works.