By definition a leader is a person who leads or commands a group – at least that’s what Professor Google says. My definition is a bit different. Who wants to be commanded? Sure there are times, situations, and circumstances when being in command is required. Directing, ordering, and controlling are verbs that often come to mind when we think of leaders.
Just about anyone can be taught to do these things. Just about anyone can dish orders, direct others, and attempt to control. Many “leaders” regardless of training can do this for some period of time before being discovered as ineffective. Great leaders however, take a different approach. These leaders must do all the directing, ordering, and controlling as previously mentioned but it’s how they accomplish these things that set them apart.
Great leaders are great because they:
- Understand how to empathize
- Effectively communicate their vision
- Ask great questions, deep questions that provide insight
- Act in their own authentic way, not trying to be someone else
- Adopt a beginners attitude
- Surround themselves with people smarter than they are
- Spend time on self-reflection, how they operate and the result produced
- Network and connect with others to learn
- Ask for, and accept help when needed
- Lean on mentor(s) for coaching and perspective
- Roll up their sleeves, never asking others to do something they haven’t or wouldn’t do themselves
- Inspire others through their words, actions, and behaviors
So start today with some self-reflection. What are you doing? What do you spend most of your time on? How do you interact with those around you? What’s the reaction of others when you walk in a room, speak during a meeting, engage with others in a break-room? Consider this list and strive to embrace each one in a genuine way and you’ll find your results improve in a timely manner.
3 thoughts on “12 Things Great Leaders Do Daily”
I would add in a great leader should be able to admit to mistakes and learn from them
LikeLiked by 1 person
So many great points here! I like the one about being around smart people a lot as well!
LikeLiked by 1 person